home |  employee benefits |  job listings |  about us |  contact us
  Home     Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions

Payroll Taxes

How do I adjust my Federal Income Tax withholding?

Federal income tax withholding is adjusted by submitting a new Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate (Form W-4) to Payroll on or before the established Employee Due Dates.

The amount of allowances you claim on line #5 of your Form W-4 can be changed to increase or decrease the amount of your withholding for Federal Income Tax (FIT). For example:

  • When you increase your number of allowances, the amount of FIT withheld is reduced.
  • When you decrease your number of allowances, the amount of FIT withheld is increased.

Payroll Management is no longer required to remit a copy of the employee’s Form W-4 directly to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for anyone claiming more than 10 withholding allowances for a given calendar year. Additionally, you may elect to have an extra, fixed dollar amount withheld for FIT from each pay. By specifying an "Additional Amount" (see line #6 of Form W-4), be aware that this withholding is over and above the amount based on your allowances.

Can I claim that I am Exempt from Federal Income Tax withholding?

Yes, providing you meet both of the following conditions for exemption as indicated on line 7 of the Form W-4:

  1. Last year you had a right to a refund of all Federal income tax withheld because you had no tax liability
  2. This year you expect a refund of all Federal income tax withheld because you expect to have no tax liability Payroll is no longer required to remit a copy of the employee’s Form W-4 to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for any employee claiming Exempt. However, claiming Exempt is valid for only one calendar year at a time. In order to claim Exempt for a new calendar year, you must submit a new Form W-4 to Payroll Management by February 15th in order to maintain the exempt status. If a new form is not received, Payroll Management is required to withhold FIT as if the employee is filing Single with zero allowances. Some additional restrictions apply. Please read Form W-4 completely before claiming Exempt.

If I forgot to change my W-4 form, can I fill it out now and have it processed retroactively?

No, Federal law prohibits retroactive processing for taxes.

What changes need to be made when I change my marital status?

If the change in marital status involves a name change, you should apply for a Social Security card with your new name and have your department change the name on the Employee Record and submit it through the proper channels. This must occur in order for the Payroll Department to make the necessary changes to the HRS Information system.

If I reached my social security tax maximum with my former employer, can I exempt myself from social security taxes for the rest of the year with the Global CI?

No, each employer must deduct FICA according to his/her year-to-date figures for gross earnings. If you have excess tax withheld during a calendar year, you must claim the excess on Form 1040, which must be filed on or before April 15th of the following year.

What is the Social Security (FICA) maximum for 2016?

The 7.65% tax rate is made up of two components:

  1. Social Security benefits(OASDI) 6.20% tax rate
  2. Medicare 1.45% tax

Social Security wages are capped at $118,500 for 2015 or $7,347 in taxes. Medicare wages are not capped and continue after the $118,500 has been reached.

If I am collecting Social Security and am still working, do I still have to have FICA taxes withheld from my pay?

Yes, regardless of your age or eligibility to collect social security benefits, all wage payments are subject to Social Security and Medicare tax withholding.

How does moving affect my Payroll records?

Your permanent home address is used to determine your liability for certain local taxes. Global CI is required to collect local tax from residents of those municipalities in which an employee lives.

Your most current home address must be on file in the Payroll Department to assure receipt of Global CI mailings; e.g., W-2 forms, correspondence, etc. A fee could be charged to issue a replacement Form W-2.

Address changes must be submitted immediately.

Payroll Deductions


What action should I take if I authorize a deduction and it was not taken from my earnings?

Contact the Payroll Department immediately if a deduction was not processed. An Administrative Specialist will investigate the problem and suggest appropriate action.

If I authorize a deduction, in which month will it take effect?

As long as the deduction authorization is received in accordance with submission due dates it will be taken in the deductions are usually applicable for goods and services in the current month.

Direct Deposit

When is the money credited to an account when an employee authorizes direct deposit?

Global CI’s regular method of payment to employees is direct deposit. Biweekly payroll, deposits are made no later than the Friday pay date.

Is it possible to credit part of a paycheck to a savings account and part to a checking account?

Yes, if you are a regular, full-time or part-time employee, direct deposits may be made into two different accounts.


What action should I take if I lose my paycheck?

Notify your supervisor and the Payroll Department immediately. The Payroll Department will submit a "Stop Payment" to the bank. Payroll will reissue the check after receiving the confirming stop payment notice from the bank. A $25 replacement fee will be deducted from the reissued check to recover the stop payment fee charged by the bank.

If you recover the lost check after notifying the Payroll Department but before receiving a new check, do not try to cash or deposit the check, because the check will be rejected by the bank. Return the check to the Payroll Department, and a replacement will be issued.

Can an individual employee review his/her own payroll/personnel record?

Yes, specific policies and procedures are described in the Global CI Employee Handbook, "Access To Employee Personnel Files." With reasonable notice, employees may request an appointment with the Office of Human Resources to review the file once a year.

Will I be paid out for accrued vacation time?

In short, no. This is a use it or loses it policy both at year-end and at conclusion of employment with Global CI, Inc. upon the termination of your employment with Global CI; we will not pay you for accumulated vacation time.

What are the Holidays Global pays for?

The following holidays are to be taken based on the schedule of your client site's holiday schedule. If your client is open during a holiday that is not listed (access to the building and systems are available), then you should report for work, unless religious observance prevents it. If the client site is closed you may use accrued time for the time off. Global CI recognizes the following holidays as paid:

Fixed Holidays:
  • New Years Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • December 25th